May 21 – 24, 2023
at the Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel
Hosted by the Maui Chapter of HAPA
Suggestion: Travel to Japan, leaving Friday, May 19, 2023. Arrive Saturday May 20, 2023 because you will be crossing the international date line and losing a day going west. (You will gain a day when you fly back.)
Sunday, May 21, 2023
- Tour Narita area on your own. There is a free shuttle bus from the Hilton hotel to Narita Town and to the Aeon Shopping Mall, or you can take a taxi.
- Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, May 22, 2023
(Note: Monday seminars are not yet finalized.)
- “Cross-border Japan tax and estate planning”
(Speaker: Michael H. Shikuma, Attorney (Hawaii), and Japan Licensed Foreign Law Attorney, who resides in Tokyo)
- “Adapting Japanese products and concepts successfully for the U.S. market and handling Cross-Border International Issues
(Speaker: Milton Fujii, President of 3 Katto LLC, dba Daiso Hawaii; Director of Import – HouseMart Ace Hardware, Ben Franklin Crafts, Dean’s Inc.)
- Lunch will be provided during the HAPA Annual meeting.
- After the seminars, a shuttle bus will be available to take you to Narita town and nearby Naritasan Shinshoji Buddhist Temple for independent sight-seeing, shopping, and dinner.
Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Wednesday, May 24, 2023
- “Federal Tax Update” seminar with Bob Jennings CPA, EA of TaxSpeaker, Jeffersonville, Indiana (8 hours) CPE, morning and afternoon.
- Lunch will be provided during the HAPA Annual Meeting.
- Following the seminar, the Annual HAPA Convention dinner banquet will be held at the Hilton Tokyo Narita hotel.
Industry tours are planned, with bus transportation provided. Included in the tours, we will see different types of robots that have been developed, as Japan dominates as one of the leading robotics countries.
- HAPA or NSA member early registration fees - $725 (deadline March 31, 2023)
HAPA or NSA late registration fees - $775 (deadline May 8, 2023)
- Nonmembers – Early registration fees - $675 (deadline March 31, 2023, no industry tour included);
Late registration fees - $725 (deadline May 8, 2023, no industry tour included)
- Registration will be available later
Registration fees include
- seminars for 2 days, lunches for 2 days
- Convention banquet on Tuesday evening, May 23, 2023, and Industry Bus Tour on Wednesday, May 24, 2023 (industry tour costs only included for HAPA & NSA members)
- (For Island Chapter members, please contact your Chapter presidents for any special Chapter rebates and conditions – to be determined at a later date.)
For spouses and guests: Banquet cost - $80, Industry Bus Tour - $150.
For nonmembers who attend the seminar sessions: Industry Bus Tour - $150.
The HAPA convention hotel is the
Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel.
See the Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel at:
To book your discounted convention hotel room rates, the Group Promotion Offer Code is GHAP23. Under “Special Rates,” enter the Group Code of GHAP23.
The special rates provide:
- Taxes (10%) and service charges (13%) are included in the special rates.
- A credit card is required for the reservation.
- Free cancellation before 11:59 PM local hotel time on your arrival date.
- A discounted breakfast buffet rate is available, but cannot be booked online. Instead, you should request the ¥2,800 per person breakfast buffet rate when you check in. (Rack rate for the breakfast buffet is ¥3,800) Also, breakfast for 2 is complimentary for Hilton Gold or Diamond members, assuming double occupancy.
Daily guest room rates, in yen, including 13% service charge and 10% tax, are as follows:
- Hilton Room, 25 m2, Single (small room) ¥14,295
- Hilton Room, 25 m2, Double (small room) ¥16,781
- Deluxe Twin, 35 m2, Single ¥16,781
- Deluxe Twin, 35 m2, Double ¥19,267
- Deluxe Twin, 36 m2, Triple Occupancy ¥21,753
- Deluxe Plus Double, 35 m2, Double Occupancy ¥21,753
- Jr. Suite, 50 m2, Double Occupancy ¥68,365
- King Bedroom Suite ¥130,515
Please book early as there are a limited number of rooms at the special convention room rate (which at the current exchange rate of $1 to ¥132 Japanese yen is approximately $127 for a Single Deluxe Twin room and $165 for a Deluxe double, taxes and service charges included.
Why go now?
The Japanese yen is significantly devalued from 3 years ago, when we were looking at approximately ¥108 per $1 dollar. Note: normally, no tipping is expected in Japan for services such as taxis, bellmen, housekeeping, etc.
Important: If you plan to attend the HAPA convention in Japan, please:
- Make your hotel and airline reservations as soon as possible.
- Obtain your passport which must be valid for more than 6 months on entry and include 2 blank pages.
- Obtain a Japan travel book (such as Fodors) and read about Japan.
- Obtain a credit card with no foreign currency transaction fees for use in Japan.
- Current travel requirements to Japan – a)proof of three doses of vaccination or b) pre-departure COVID test taken 72 hours before travel. (Please check on whether the COVID test is acceptable in Japan.)
- No visa is required for stays of 90 days or less for tourism or business in Japan.
The Hilton Tokyo Narita Hotel is a 4-star rated hotel, located 10 minutes from the Narita International Airport. There is a free airport shuttle bus to the hotel, or you can take a taxi.
post-convention hotel and tour arrangements in Tokyo – from May 25 for four or five nights at the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku.
Additional information will be provided at a later date.
Optional day bus tours of Mt. Fuji/Hakone and around Tokyo will be offered by JTB Travel agency. Tours will leave from the Keio Plaza hotel. Currently, the Mt. Fuji/Hakone tour is planned for Friday, May 26, 2023, and the tour around Tokyo is planned for Saturday, May 27, 2023. If you choose to book at another hotel, please arrange for your own transportation to the Keio Plaza hotel in order to join the optional tours leaving from the Keio Plaza hotel.
For more information to plan your trip, please see information from the Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) at https://www.japan.travel/en/ or purchase Japan travel books and start planning your trip.
Please join HAPA in Japan for its 67th Annual State Convention for fun and adventure!